Situated between the ports of Montrose and Dundee, the first malting plant was completed in 1970 to supply the local distilling industry and export customers.
- The design was a single vessel, SGKV style, capable of drying barley and malting in the same vessel.
- Following the first development in 1970, a second phase was built in 1980 and now comprises of 8 cylindro-conical steep tanks feeding 2 germination / kilning ‘Clova’ vessels with rotating floors.
- This system produces 22,000 tonnes of malt per annum.
- Drying of barley is accommodated in these vessels during harvest, in addition to our dedicated tower drier on site. Extensive barley storage facilities allow close management of the barley stock before its use for malting.
- The site produces malts for the distilling, brewing and export markets, delivered by road, bulk container and cargo boat.
- In 2010, a new state of the art 57,000 tonnes malting plant was added at Arbroath. The plant has a stainless steel finish across all process vessels and was supplied by the specialist malting plant supplier, Buhler GmbH of Germany. The Plant incorporates the latest innovations in malting technology and process control offering the highest levels of efficiency and product consistency. A commitment to reduced energy and water consumption has been a design priority, as has ensuring sustained operational capability.
- Within the Operations Office are the Accounts and Commercial teams which deal with our sales and delivery logistics plus customer service activities.
- In addition, Bairds Malt’s Central Laboratory is based at the Arbroath site. The Laboratory carries out malt analysis for all of our sites in the UK.
With our maltings spread across the Eastern Seaboard of the UK, we take a close interest in the weather knowing the impact that it can have on our growing partners and our malt production.
- Nov 30, 2021 light rain 7° C
- Dec 1, 2021 light snow 4° C
- Dec 2, 2021 few clouds 3° C
- Dec 3, 2021 light rain 3° C
- Dec 4, 2021 clear sky 4° C
Bairds Malt LTD
Elliot Industrial Estate